Choosing whether to stay for a possible promotion that has no firm date

I've been told I'm ‘next in line’ for a promotion, but no one can say when the role will open. I like the work, yet I've passed on external interviews partly because of that possibility. I'm trying to separate encouragement from a concrete plan. What questions would you ask your manager—budget, required milestones, decision date—before deciding whether to keep waiting or explore other opportunities?

  • career-advice
  • choosing
  • stay
  • possible
30

5 replies · Sort: Best

Best
  1. zhong96
    4 points

    4 replies

    I’d ask for a decision date, or at least the next review point. “Next in line” can mean a lot of things, and without a date it’s just encour...

    44 replies

    I’d ask for a decision date, or at least the next review point. “Next in line” can mean a lot of things, and without a date it’s just encouragement dressed up as information.

    4
    1. AA
      abril.moll
      3 points

      Budget matters too. If the role isn’t funded yet, that changes the conversation a lot. So does whether there’s a specific milestone you need to hit first.

      3
    2. DB
      dawn.white
      4 points

      I’d also ask what would make the promotion happen faster versus what would just keep you in the same waiting room. Sometimes people say “soon” because they haven’t been forced to make the timeline concrete.

      4

        Yes, and I’d be very plain about it. Something like, “What needs to happen before this becomes a real decision?” cuts through a lot of fog.

      The hard part is deciding what answer you’ll accept. If they can’t name a date or a clear trigger, I wouldn’t keep passing on interviews for...